Monday, October 22, 2007

Weekly Random Review #5: Rigby!


Overall Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Good
: Simple, unique game with cute graphics--good pickup game!
Bad: Too short and easy, getting jumping right can be frustrating.



I know, it isn't really weekly anymore... Thanks to major slacking off on my part (wow, I sound like Greg!). But hopefully I'll be able to get these reviews out more often, now that Cocak seems to have been reborn :D

Anyway, this week's game I'm featuring is Rigby. No, not Eleanor Rigby--this is a game just recently uploaded by ptgames, who seems to be dedicated to making as great flash games as he can. Unfortunately, the Kongregate API is still absent from the game.

Rigby is a simple little semi-puzzle game. The point of the game is to hit all the blocks on the level before touching the ground (and while avoiding X blocks). Half of the game is getting good timing, the other half a strategy for going about hitting them. Sadly, the author made it way too easy... I'll get into this later.

The graphics are a love/hate relationship. If you like colorful, cutesy visuals, this game is for you. Alternatively, if you only want bloody shooters, this probably won't be very entertaining to you. The game actually reminds me a bit of Yoshi's Island, if you've ever played it.

When you play the game, you'll see how simple and easy it is to learn; you just need the arrow keys to play! Unfortunately, the true simplicity doesn't have its full effects, due to a couple reasons. First of all, jumping is frustrating. You have to hit the up arrow at the exact right time, which will make the game harder than it really is. Secondly, the game is short. With only 20 (thanks renny!) levels, and no real difficulty, you'll finish this game in no time.
This is about as hard as it gets...
So in the end, you get a nice looking, simple game. Sadly, the puzzles are too easy, with controls that make everything harder. But if you are looking for a fun game to pick up and play for a few minutes, this is the way to go.

~Malachi, reviewer

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey Mal, I could only play 20 levels. You said 30. D'oh! :P

Focus said...

Mal, how can I make the text appear at the right of the image, and a centered title? I have no problem in trying, but there is no formatting Sandbox...

Malachi said...

Oops! Meant to say 20... Thanks renny!

And focus.. I have to problem with the blogger post thing. Are you using something else to blog it?

Jón Kristján said...

Thanks for a wonderful review, Mal!

I was baffled at first how everyone mentions jumping as an issue, but I realized it was my fault. It's not entirely clear on the little Instructions Signpost in the first level, but there is actually no timing required. Just hold down the Up-key at any time before he touches the ground on his way down, and he jumps.

Anyways, it was awesome seeing that someone really liked the game, and I apologize for the lack of Kongregate API and shortness. The first a matter of me coding it in Flash 9's ActionScript 3, which the API doesn't support yet.

Thanks,
Jon Kristinsson
PT-Games